In this article, I'll introduce some useful phrases that you can use for basic self-introduction.
Master basic expressions and make new Japanese friends when you come to Japan!
How to self introduction in Japanese①
Here are some phrases that tell you about yourself.
- Translation：Nice to meet you.
It is used when greeting people who meet for the first time.
- Translation：My name is 〇〇.
- Romaji：watashi no namae wa 〇〇 desu.
Example is Tanaka.
Use it when you say your name. Let's put your name in 〇〇.
- Translation：I'm from 〇〇.
- Romaji：〇〇 kara kimashita.
Example is Australia .
It is used when teaching the place of origin.
Check here for various country names▶︎▶︎▶︎Country name in Japanese
- Translation：I'm a 〇〇.
- Romaji：watashi wa 〇〇 desu.
Example is student.
This phrase is used to introduce occupation. Let's put your occupation in 〇〇.
You can also say your age by putting a number in the 〇〇 part.
Ex）watashi wa 23sai desu.（わたしは23さいです。）
- Translation：My hobby is 〇〇.
- Romaji：watashi no shumi wa 〇〇 desu.
Example is traveling.
- Translation：Nice meeting you.
- Romaji：yoroshiku onegai shimasu.
This phrase is a greeting unique to Japan. It's a convenient greeting that can be used in various situations, so remember it.
How to self introduction in Japanese②
Here are some phrases that you can use when listening to the other person.
- Translation：What is your name?
- Romaji：onamae wa nandesuka?
This phrase is used when asking for the name of the other person.
- Translation：Where are you from?
- Romaji：dokokara kimashitaka?
This phrase is used when asking where the other person is from.
- Translation：How old are you?
- Romaji：nansai desuka?
This phrase is used when asking the age of the other person.
Check here for numbers▶︎▶︎▶︎Numbers 1 to 100
- Translation：What is your hobby?
- Romaji：shumi wa nan desuka?
This phrase is used when asking the other person's hobbies.
Let's introduce ourselves by sharing basic information such as name, age, work, birthplace, and hobbies.